The Centre for Insurance and Risk Management at the Institute for Financial Management and Research, Chennai, India, is currently accepting internship applications for its 2008 Total Immersion Program in Finance and Development (TIP/FD)
The Centre for Insurance and Risk Management (CIRM) is undertaken as a sectoral effort to act as an enabler to ensure that a range of customized products, processes offer risk management solutions and social security for low income households. It is an action research; product development group focused on developing and delivering market ready micro insurance and risk management services for vulnerable sections in India. The centre collaborates with Insurers, Re-insurers, Research Institutes, Community Based Financial Institutions, International Organizations and the Regulator to develop insurance programmes that build an enabling environment in the country to ensure outreach and efficient delivery. The Centre adopts a Systems view in identifying risks faced by vulnerable communities through technical collaborations with key partners and disseminates its learning’s from product customization designed for different geographies through our website, workshops, seminars and publications.
Projects undertaken at the Centre can be placed into six major categories namely:
Multiple health insurance products
– Health Ecosystem Project
– Coverage Specific Health Insurance
– Government Collaborated Health Projects
– Weather Insurance- Agriculture
– Flood Insurance
– Multi Drought Insurance
Social Security- Micro Pensions
nsurance Literacy and Training
Sector Specific Initiatives
– Insurance Compendium
– Maps of Micro Insurance
To see the details of each project, visit the CIRM website:
CIRM for the year 2008 is looking for Interns in the following projects where the intern may require to assist in data generation, analyze the data, understand the local context, help in product designing, compiling and documenting the learning’s from the field.
– Dungarpur Initiative: Development of an index based weather Insurance at Dungarpur.
– Micro Pension Scheme: The Centre also been requested by the Labour Department, Government of Rajasthan to roll out a Pilot Scheme to take off the “Vishwakarma Contributory Pension Scheme for Unorganized Sector Workers’ and suggest product and process modifications in due course.
– EmChaf: Designing insurance products that will be provided by NGFIs: Life, Disability, Livestock, Weather and Health Insurance.
– Insurance Compendium: Develop an Insurance compendium which will accumulate the learning’s and practices from various micro insurance initiatives and currently running schemes for low income households in the country.
– AIDS Insurance: The Centre is collaborating with Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee (DMSC), a community based organization in Kolkata, working with Commercial Sex Workers (CSWs). We aim to design and pilot a comprehensive and broad based health insurance cover for People Living with HIV (PLHIV)
The internship at CIRM is unpaid so it’s best that the candidate secures funding. CIRM offers internships for a minimum duration of 8 weeks. These internships provide graduate and undergraduate students with an opportunity to apply their classroom training and better understand the complexities of financing development in India. Interns will be assigned to these specific projects and will be directly overseen by full time researchers in CIRM. All internships will be based in Chennai and may require travel to project sites. Internship projects involve either field-based action research; policy/sector wide studies and data analysis.
CIRM has had the privilege of hosting several interns in the past year from various Indian and international institutions like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, London School Of Economics, Oxford University, Delhi University, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), ICFAI, Hyderabad. Candidates are encouraged to apply early to enable best matching of their interests and experience with available projects. We will not be in a position to accept any applications after April 30, 2008. For more information on CIRM, please visit our website: www.ifmr.ac.in/cirm
Contact Details: Sagarika Gnanaolivu
8th Floor, Fountain Plaza, Egmore, Chennai 600008, India; Tel: +91-44-42892785; Fax: +91-44-42892-799:
This has been closed